Thank you for your interest in a position with Recreational Sports! We look to hire folks who believe in our mission to connect, inform and inspire people to lead active, healthy lifestyles and embrace our common focus of providing an exceptional experience every day to all of our participants. Our goal is to find the right person for each of our positions – we call this ‘right fit hiring’. This also means that it is important for you to understand us and make sure we are a good fit for your interests and skills! Applying for a position with RS is a two-part process:
Step 1: Click the ‘Apply for Job’ button above to get started with the IU Job Application. Head to our Employment Opportunities Page to learn more about our part time positions.
Step 2: After you submit the IU Job Application, you’ll receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within 2-3 business days with a link to our RS Employment Questionnaire. Complete the questionnaire and you’ll be all set!
Both steps are required to be eligible for employment with our team. A hiring supervisor will contact you directly if they are interested in moving forward with an interview. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions! We can’t wait to see your application!
The Group Exercise Leader is responsible for leading Indiana University Campus Recreational Sports participants through safe, effective, motivational & fun exercise sessions. Fitness sessions are held in both the SRSC and SPH/Fieldhouse facilities, and occasionally satellite facilities. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Fitness/Wellness.
- Prepare in advance for fitness sessions by designing safe, effective, and well-balanced movements that are appropriate for the level and the format of the session led.
- Select and use music that is of high quality, is the appropriate tempo (bpm)/style for the session, and is clean and edited.
- Accurately track prep time and turn in time log and supporting documentation every Monday by 10am.
- Arrive at the fitness session 15 minutes prior to start and be available at the end of the session to answer participants’ questions and ensure the organization and upkeep of equipment storage; start and end each session on time.
- Clock in on time using approved clock-in stations and report any time clock or payroll problems to the Assistant Director or Program Assistants using a Time Incident Form.
- Perform radio checks, ensure participants sign the liability waivers, and record headcounts for each session.
- Provide excellent relational service through: interacting with participants, promoting division programs, receiving participant feedback, and being visible and accessible when on-shift (greet participants as they are arriving).
- Maintain on-going communication by checking and responding to e-mail messages (everyday) and submitting session shift reports (after each session).
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings, in-service trainings, and individual meeting/training sessions.
- Relay participant feedback, position, and program information to the AD, Coordinator, and/or PA on an on-going basis.
- Read, understand, and abide by all employee policies and agree to enforce all participant policies stated in the Group Exercise Playbook.
- Supervise and assist leader trainees.
- Maintain current Rec Sports Risk Management Certifications.
- Maintain professional fitness certifications.
- Work together as a team & serve as a substitute leader on an as-needed basis.
- Secure your own subs via GroupEx Pro, and contact AD/Coordinator if any situations arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, Fitness/Wellness.
- Group Exercise: Certification through ACE, AFAA, ACSM, or similar organization or Completion of Leader Training course
- Pilates: Certification through STOTT or Balanced Body (Pilates), with registration with Pilates Method Alliance
- Yoga: Completion of a 200hr yoga training with registration through the Yoga Alliance
- Successful demonstration of skills through an audition is required.
- At least 6 months prior experience in the leading of Yoga/Pilates formats is preferred.
Starting Pay Rate: $15.50/hour with potential merit salary increases on a semesterly basis.