Position Job Description
Position Title: Group Fitness Instructor
Department / Location: Parks & Recreation / New Brighton Community Center
Immediate Supervisor: Recreation Supervisor
Position & FLSA Status: Part-Time - Non-exempt
Date of Latest Revision: October 2020
Instructs quality group fitness classes, provides excellent customer service to members in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness in accordance with NBCC policies and procedures.
Essential Accountabilities and Expected Outcomes
1) Plans and provides group fitness classes as one component of a fitness program.
Ø Lead quality group fitness classes, as directed by the Recreation Supervisor.
Ø Conduct energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes.
Ø Demonstrated customer service and communication skills.
Ø Be able to respond and follow NBCC policies and procedures in emergency situations.
2) Assumes a leadership role as a professional in the area of exercise and aerobics.
Ø Encourage participants to continue with exercises and make healthy choices as part of the group fitness program.
Ø Maintain working knowledge of fitness industry to provide effective information and training to members.
Ø Problem solves, anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy.
Ø Arrives 15 minutes prior to start of class, sets up equipment, and greets participants and returns equipment at end of class.
Ø Provides a safe, clean and supportive environment for members, guest and staff.
3) Promotes participation in membership, group fitness, aquatics and personal training services.
4) Communicates regularly with the Recreation Supervisor on current utilization patterns, trends and fees generated by the group fitness program.
Ø Keep accurate class attendance records.
5) Performs other program-related responsibilities as directed by the Recreation Supervisor.
Competencies Common to All Positions:
- Developing and maintaining a thorough working knowledge of all department and applicable City policies and procedures in order to help facilitate compliance with such policies and procedures by all personnel.
- Demonstrating by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all staff.
- Developing respectful and cooperative relationships with co-workers, including willing assistance to newer staff so job responsibilities can be performed with confidence as quickly as possible.
- Conferring regularly with and keeping the immediate supervisor informed of all important matters pertaining to those functions and job responsibilities for which accountable.
- Representing the City in a professional manner to the general public and other outside contacts / constituencies in a manner that helps maintain and enhance New Brighton's reputation as a well-managed City.
Core Values Common to All Positions:
- Represent and model the following established City of New Brighton Values:
- Respect for Residents, Businesses, and Visitors
- Effective Communication with Residents of New Brighton
- Promote a Healthy Business Climate
- Understand Our Past as we invest in the Future
- Recognize the Importance of Working with Neighboring Communities
- Provide for the Safety and Security of the Community
- Accountability and Integrity in Service Delivery
Typical Working Environment:
Work is typically performed in the inside, temperature controlled fitness studio area or neighborhood center. There are the recognized hazards of demonstrating and helping others properly use the available fitness equipment.
Typical Physical Requirements for This Position:
Ability to conduct classes and activities relating to fitness including the strength, stamina and agility to perform high aerobic levels while assisting others for a period of up to 90 min. Must be able to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs. at a time.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position:
- Certification in Health and Wellness programming and at least one year experience planning, and instructing group fitness or aquatic activities.
- Accredited National Certification: American Council on Exercise (ACE), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), AFAA (Athletics and Fitness Association of America), NETA (National Exercise Trainers Association).
- Current CPR/AED & First Aid certification required within 60 days of hire.
- Current SilverSneakers certification required to teach for all SilverSneakers classes.
- Specialty certifications (SilverSneakers, Yoga, Zumba, Water Exercise, Tai Chi) preferred but not required.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the City may find appropriate and acceptable.