Works with new and existing members to ensure they feel welcome and supported, while developing a sense of connection both with the Y cause and other members. Membership Experience Specialists will serve our community in a multitude of ways, by working as a team to create a branch environment and culture that embodies the Y’s mission of strengthening spirit, mind and body.
- Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with Members; helps Members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Works with supervisor to develop branch-specific goals in regard to training revenue, client retention, and session redemption; minimum client and revenue benchmarks may apply.
- Contacts Member within 48 hours of receiving notification of interest, and conduct’s individual meetings with members to discuss goals, gifts and interests; develops personal training plan with members to work toward their goals.
- Schedules and redeems each session; monitors and updates the schedule and ensures all sessions are conducted within the time allowed and in a timely manner so Members are reaching their goals effectively. Reports for work as assigned; secures the appropriate sub if unable to work.
- Begins and ends each session at its scheduled time; arrive 5 minutes prior and stay 5 minutes following.
- Conducts personal training sessions with Members relevant to their goals; demonstrates proper use of equipment in the wellness center; observes the Members’ use of equipment and detects/corrects movement patterns that may not contribute to goal achievement.
- Utilizes approved YMCA of Central Ohio forms and protocols for client testing, programming, and confidentiality.
- Regularly checks on Members’ progress in meeting goals (both formally and informally); documents the conversations and progress using appropropriate tools (i.e. DAXKO Engage, GroupExPro, physical trainer logbooks).
- Ensures the safety of Members in the wellness center by maintaining the equipment in a clean, safe, and working order.
- Intentionally connects with Members in a way that demonstrates the value of their personal training experience at all times; advises and sells personal training programs and packages.
- Actively engages in marketing and communication efforts specific to wellness program promotion.
- Participates in Community Outreach campaigns and shares announcements as directed by the supervisor.
- May provide direct support in wellness and membership as assigned (i.e. class sub coverage, membership desk tasks, manager on duty).
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Current NCCA- Accredited Personal Trainer Certificate upon hire.
- High school diploma and two years of related experience and/or training; BS in Health Sciences or related field preferred.
- Passing grade on in-house practical; any necessary follow up completed prior to actively training clients.
- Must have current CPR-Pro/AED, First Aid, and O2 within first 30 days of employment; until certification is obtained, cannot work alone.
- Must attend New Employee Orientation, part III within first 60 days of employment.
- Nationally recognized certification must also be obtained within the first year of hire for those candidates who hold a BS in Exercise Science/Physiology, Kinesiology, Biomechanics, or similar. Candidates without a degree are REQUIRED to have one of the listed certifications to be hired.
- Trainer is responsible for keeping all certifications current and in good standing.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to promote programs and services
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willing to work flexible work hours based on evolving needs of the members and program/building coverage.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database programs, and social media.
- All mandatory YMCA of Central Ohio training(s) must be completed by the required date.