At the YMCA of Western North Carolina, we look for individuals passionate about giving back to the community and helping people. We bring our mission and core values to life through our culture: We are welcoming: by being open to all. We are genuine: by valuing you and embracing your individuality. We are hopeful: by believing in you and your potential. We are nurturing: by supporting you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger, beginning with you.
The YMCA of WNC is committed to strengthening the foundations of community through programming that supports youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Our programs nurture the greatness in every child, promote well-being throughout the community, and give back to our neighbors in need.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Personal Trainer, you are responsible for planning and leading a range of individualized exercise/activity sessions for clients in a fitness specialty area. You will perform a variety of fitness programs that are both educational and motivational. The Personal Trainer provides a positive customer experience, which promotes member wellness per the YMCA policies and procedures and creates a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment.
• Develops, implements, and instructs various personal training sessions for clients.
• Provides encouragement and expertise for each client in support of their health and well-being goals.
• Contacts potential clients within 24 hours of being notified of a new client; ensures prompt and courteous contact with members during and in between sessions; reports to sessions on time. Meets with all scheduled clients and tracks sessions as required.
• Administers, tracks and evaluates fitness assessments and other pre-participation documentation concerning individual exercise programs.
• Adheres to all guidelines and expectations as outlined by the YMCA Wellness policies and procedures, including providing safe classes and sessions, responding to and reporting any accidents or incidents, and following expectations when not scheduled for personal training appointments.
• Promotes and sells personal training and small group programs and services while helping to achieve monthly revenue and session goals.
• Assists leadership with special wellness events and tasks as needed.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Must be certified by Y-approved certification agencies
• Current certification as a Personal Trainer; ACSM, ACE, AFFA, NSCA, or NETA preferred. (Accredited Certification Required)
• Maintain personal training certification by meeting continuing education requirements
• Attain and maintain current YMCA of WNC-approved CPR, AED, First Aid, O2, and BPP certifications within 90 days of hire
• Previous experience working with individuals in an exercise setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Must be able to relate and communicate with members and staff and be able to interpret and carry out the mission and goals of the YMCA of WNC.
• Knowledge of all YMCA of WNC events, programs, resources, and other community wellness resources.
PHYSICAL ASPECTS OF THE JOB
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to clearly see, hear, and speak.
• Must be able to bend, stand, stoop, and walk for extended periods of time throughout the facility.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
• Must be able to comprehend and communicate written and verbal instructions
- Free individual membership to all YMCA of WNC locations
- Discounted membership for household members
- Discounted program fees (swim lessons, youth sports, summer camp and more)
- Start a 403(b) smart savings account on day one of employment (optional) and begin eligibility for YMCA retirement plan
- Professional development opportunities through local and Y-USA trainings
The YMCA of Western North Carolina is committed to equal opportunity in terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.