Farmington Family YMCA, 28100 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States of America Req #103
To apply, please click here
or copy and search
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the foundation of community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than just a job—you’ll enjoy a career with the chance to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, skilled, and inspiring personal trainer to join our growing team. In this role, you will be responsible for creating exercise and fitness plans for a wide-range of clients. You must have a positive attitude, highly motivated personality, and the ability to encourage clients to reach their fitness goals.
- Lead clients through exercise routines
- Evaluate client fitness level and skillset to plan reachable goals
- Monitor client through strength training and weightlifting
- Counsel and educate clients on diet, nutrition, and exercise
- Create a workout plan tailored to client needs
- Chart and track client progress
- Motivate and encourage client through positive words while training
- Ensure equipment use and physical exercises are performed safely
- Adjust client personalized plans as goals are reached
- Lead group classes on proper exercise routines
- Educate clients on weight lifting and training equipment
- Demonstrate and encourage correct warm-up and stretching techniques to avoid injury
- Perform CPR, first aid, or other emergency procedures if needed
- Educate a wide range of clients of all ages based on their fitness capabilities
- Follow all health and safety regulations when working with equipment
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High school degree or equivalent.
- First aid, CPR, and AED training and certification is required.
- A minimum of one nationally recognized personal trainer certification (ACSM, ACE, AFAA, ISSA, NASM, NESTA, NETA, NPTI, NSCA, W.I.T.S) is required.
- Must have knowledge of physical fitness, kinesiology and physiology as it relates to strength training and overall health and wellness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Positive attitude, encouraging, and patient with clients when instructing.
- Able to build trusting relationships with clients.
- Able to work with clients who may need specialized attention due to previous injuries or health problems.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit (“YMCA”) is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to be an inclusive and welcoming environment for all. The YMCA does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring or other terms or conditions of employment on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sex, age, religion, national origin, genetic information, ethnicity, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military status or application or any other basis protected by state, federal or other applicable law.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of children in our programs. We hold all staff, regardless of position, to the highest possible standards. We require all staff to be screened regularly and sign a code of conduct. All staff will be monitored when interacting with
program participants. We take any inappropriate interactions between program
participants and with staff very seriously and will fully cooperate with
authorities in any case of abuse.